TERMS & CONDITIONS
Introduction The following terms and conditions represent the basis upon which
driving lessons and courses are offered to you by your local Spectrum Driver Training instructor. Please note the contract for service is between yourself and the local Spectrum instructor. Each Spectrum instructor operates his or her own business under franchise from Spectrum Driver Training and has agreed to be bound by the following terms and conditions.
1. General Conduct All Spectrum instructors are bound by a professional code of conduct. Your Spectrum instructor will be courteous, polite, tidy and punctual. He or she will also behave in a professional and ethical manner at all times. Your Spectrum instructor’s car will be well maintained, clean and tidy. All cars used by Spectrum instructors are fitted with dual-controls as part of their standard equipment. The cars are of course fully insured for driving tuition. Spectrum instructors will not smoke in the car while giving tuition, nor will they use your lesson time for any other form of business, personal or otherwise.
2. Qualifications As a minimum your SPECTRUM instructor will be licensed by the Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) to give driving tuition.
3. Driving Licence and Eyesight The learner must hold a current, valid driving licence (provisional or full), which must be produced on or in advance of their first lesson. The learner must also check that they can read a number plate at a distance of 20.5 metres (i.e. 67 feet - about 5 car lengths) with glasses if normally worn.
4. Payments Please note payments must be made at the start of every lesson. If paying by Block, then payment should be made at the start of first lesson that the block relates to. At this point a binding agreement is made between yourself and the local SPECTRUM instructor. When a block of lessons is paid for, there will be no refund of un used lessons, except in exceptional circumstances. This does not in any way affect your statutory rights to be provided with the goods and services you have bought (please see term 10).
5. Lesson Postponement You must give at least 24 hours’ notice of any lesson postponement. If this is not possible the full training fee for the period in question will be lost or charged. Your SPECTRUM instructor reserves the right to postpone lessons if he or she feels that the weather or road conditions are unsuitable or dangerous. The SPECTRUM instructor cannot be held responsible for any costs incurred as a result of him or her having to postpone any lessons, for whatever reason.
6. The Driving Test a) Bookings Driving tests can be booked by you, or your SPECTRUM instructor on your behalf. Driving test bookings always take priority over other lessons. Therefore, your lesson may be postponed to allow for someone else’s driving test and vice-versa. Changes to lesson bookings as a result of this will be notified immediately. Test appointments must be notified to your SPECTRUM instructor as soon as they are known; otherwise he or she cannot guarantee to provide a vehicle for the test.
b) Use of the vehicle In the interests of customer and public safety your SPECTRUM instructor reserves the right to withhold the use of a car for the test if, in their opinion, your driving is actually or potentially dangerous.
c) Test cancellation Three clear working days’ notice of cancellation or postponement is required by the DVSA. Failure to provide the required notice will result in the loss of your test fee. Your SPECTRUM instructor cannot be held responsible for any postponement or cancellation of tests by the DVSA. However, he or she will do all that is possible to arrange another test as quickly as possible and to help you to reclaim expenses from the DVSA
7. Punctuality In their own interests learners are advised to be punctual for their lesson appointments. The SPECTRUM instructor would normally wait for a maximum of 10 minutes before the lesson would be abandoned and the lesson fee forfeited or become due for payment. A reciprocal waiting time may become necessary if the SPECTRUM instructor is delayed due to unforeseen circumstances.
8. Learner Comfort and Safety In the interests of comfort and safety learners are advised to wear suitable footwear and clothing which does not restrict movement. Learners must also take note of any medication they are taking that may affect their ability to drive safely and advice their instructor accordingly before taking any lesson booked.
9. Complaints In the event of a complaint all efforts must be made to resolve the problem directly with the SPECTRUM instructor. However, please do not let a problem linger. If you booked directly with the SPECTRUM instructor you will need to put your complaint in writing to the SPECTRUM Quality Control Director, Spectrum Driver Training, 8 Broadstraik Crescent Westhill Aberdeenshire AB32 6JR
10. Your Statutory Rights Nothing in these terms and conditions will reduce your statutory rights relating to faulty or misdescribed goods or services provided. SPECTRUM instructors have a statutory obligation to provide you with goods and services fit for the purpose for which they were bought and as described. If you have any doubts about your statutory rights please contact your local Trading Standards Department or Citizen's Advice Bureau